Barony of Langley

Click Here for the History of the Barony of Langley

Click Here for a Timeline (chart) and History of the Barony of Langley.

After 125 years of separation, Langley Castle and the Barony of Langley were reunited on the 18th April 2007.  Dr. Stuart Madnick, owner of Langley Castle – now the Baron of Langley – acquired the title from the Crown. 

The Barony of Langley stretches back to 1165, more than 800 years ago, when it was held by Adam of Tindale. The title has been linked to famous English rulers and knights of the past. Langley Castle, the Barony’s ancient seat in Northumberland, was constructed around 1350, during the reign of Edward III. In the 14th Century the Barony passed to the Earl of Northumberland, Henry Percy, father of Hotspur, before being sold to Henry VIII. Eventually it was purchased by the Radcliffe family around 1641.

Both the Barony and the Castle were seized by the Crown from James Radcliffe, Earl of Derwentwater, upon his execution at the Tower of London in 1716 because of his support of the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. King George I assigned these and other properties to the governors of Greenwich Hospital, a Crown charity.

In 1882, Cadwallader Bates, a local historian and Sheriff of Northumberland, purchased Langley Castle – but not the Barony – from the Crown. Thus, they were separated for the first time in more than 500 years. Cadwallader devoted much of his life up to his death in 1902 to the restoration of the Castle.

On receiving the Barony, Dr. Madnick commented: “Langley Castle has been our ‘labor of love.’ We have tried to continue the work of Cadwallader Bates to restore Langley to all its past glory. Now by reuniting it with the Barony, the restoration is truly complete.”

Dr. Stuart Madnick, a Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Boston, USA and a high-tech consultant, had purchased Langley Castle in 1985. Working with a dedicated team at Langley, The Castle has been established it as one of the foremost hotels in England.