Langley Castle Chapel now renamed “The Cadwallader Bates Memorial Room”
Cadwallader Bates began the monumental task of restoration in 1882. Tragically, he died in 1902, and restoration was not completed until 1914 under the direction of his wife, Josephine. Josephine Bates personally supervised the final stages of Cadwallader’s work and, with the permission of Pope Leo XIII, built a small Chapel to his memory in the Southeast tower.
Cadwallader and Josephine Bates are buried not one hundred yards from the main entrance of the Castle.
A collection of photographs of the reconstruction of Langley Castle are on display in the Cocktail Bar situated off the Drawing Room and at the top of the main staircase, next to the Tower room. The Chapel was restored in 2006, in conjunction with English Heritage, by Dr Stuart Madnick and his family. The Chapel is currently used for wedding blessings and baby naming ceremonies.